Yesterday, I decided that the time had come for me to embark on my first serious attempt at cake decorating. Up to now, I had flirted with the idea – a sift of icing sugar, the odd sprinkle, some fruit, or perhaps a flower or two. But nothing involving proper icing, food colouring or special equipment. I mentioned here that I had a plan.
Well, first step was to glaze with the apricot jam which I was sure I had – but which I couldn’t find. So my home made gooseberry jam stepped into the breach. Then the marzipan, then the icing. I was going to do royal icing but then decided, for my first attempt, to take it a bit easy, so used ready roll stuff. It went on quite smoothly – there are lumps but I’m pretty sure they’re actually cake.
Then it was time for the actual decorating part, for which I used some of my new food colouring gels and some special ivy-leaf cutters, both from here. Getting the right shade of dark green took a long time, as I carefully added colour to the icing. And then added more, somewhat less carefully. As the colour got deeper without getting darker, I realised that there was no alternative. I was going to have to darken it – with black. I very gingerly dotted three dots of black gel into the icing, and a bit of kneading later, I had my ivy green. Then it was roll, stamp and stick, until I had almost the desired effect. It isn’t exactly as I planned, but it’s pretty close, and for a first attempt, I’m pleased.